Teach English to the school children of Uganda
Share your language skills and knowledge with eager students and make a transformation and embark on the trip of a lifetime in Uganda, opportunity awaits
- Feel what it’s like to know that someone else’s life has been made better because YOU were there
- Co-operate with the generous, who know that a better world begins with changing a single life
- We offer the world’s most affordable volunteer program for just $150
- Your safety is always our priority... every volunteer location has been thoroughly vetted
- Be a part of the life-changing volunteer project.
Opportunities exist for those with strong English skills. In Uganda, income levels determine your children's quality of schooling.
This creates a large gap amongst student's education. Most upper-class children receive ideal English instruction, but children of poorer families and communities lag far behind.
This educational gap grows as children progress through their schooling and eventually into the workforce. Our programs to volunteer English teaching in Uganda benefit local children and orphans by helping them develop useful English language skills.
The demand for English-speaking Ugandans is becoming more prominent as the tourist industry grows. Improving these children's conversational English in Uganda makes for a better future and prepares them to compete and participate in the global market.
Please find below the dates when schools are closed in Uganda. Volunteers in these dates can work in other projects.
- End of April to mid May
- End of August to beginning of September
- December to start of February
There are no specific qualifications required to join this English-teaching project.
However, IFRE does prefer participants to be enthusiastic native English-speakers who are eager to teach children. Previous teaching experience and/or a degree in English is preferred but not required.
As a volunteer English-teacher, you teach for about 2-3 hours a day, six days a week. There are English teachers and a set curriculum in place in the Ugandan schools; however, volunteers offer much-needed support to this overworked staff in the way of introducing and applying different teaching methods, suggesting resolutions for communication barriers and providing appropriate curriculum ideas for the classroom.
Responsibilities include teaching English in either primary or secondary schools. Additionally, you may teach in one of the local orphanages, which run their own schools and utilize volunteers to offer English instruction.
Local schools provide all curriculum and teaching materials. Volunteers will work alongside an already-existing teachers – reporting to the schools' respective headmasters.
These last six weeks of volunteering have been a truly amazing and life-changing & very wonderful experience for me.
I had an excellent time, better than I ever could have imagined. Other volunteers were so nice and willing to help.
- Vermont, USA
I had a wonderful experience. I had the opportunity to teach children of all different ages.I am sad to leave!
My volunteer experience with IFRE has been unforgettable. It has opened my mind & heart. Staffs were very helpful.
IFRE manages living accommodations, provides meals and supervision for volunteers for the entirety of their stay in Uganda. We offer a Home Base in Uganda.
IFRE's home base in Uganda is located in a Kampala. We try to create a "home away from home" for volunteers staying at our home base. It is a perfect situation for volunteers to live safely and comfortably while making many new friends and sharing experience every day.
Most of volunteers project in Uganda are located within 1-20 KM of our home base so you may walk or ride a local bus to your project. In the evening when you return to home base, you can relax, eat dinner, explore local areas or simply share experience with volunteer comrades.
Occasionally, depending on volunteer traffic, available projects or distance to a volunteer's assigned project, we may also place our volunteers with carefully pre-screened host families.
Our host families are socially respected and are experienced with hosting international volunteers. They have strong interest in our volunteers' safety and well-being and demonstrate this with caution and care.
In most host family situations, volunteers will share a room with another volunteer of the same gender. Another viable option is an at-orphanage stay. Volunteers participating in the orphanage project may reside within the confines of the orphanage's compound in a room set aside for volunteers.
Once you have applied for program placement, you will find the specific details of your accommodations in your personal placement documents for your project.
Our field staff visits volunteers regularly and always happy to help our volunteers in any way needed. We offer 3 meals a day of local cuisine. Typically, volunteers eat breakfast and dinner at the home base (or host family) and have lunch at their project.
We offer fresh, nutritious and safe local foods to our volunteers to eat. We also work extremely hard to maintain our facilities in a positive condition.
- Teaching English in Rural Schools-Argentina
- Teaching English-Bali
- Teaching English in Brazil
- Teach English in Rural Schools-Cambodia
- Volunteer Teaching English-China
- Paid Teaching in China
- Teaching English-san jose-Costa Rica
- Teaching Project-Puntarenas/Guanacaste-Costa Rica
- Teach English in Rural and Urban Schools-Ecuador
- Teach English in Rural Schools (Accra, Kumasi, Abor, Hohoe & Vakp)-Ghana
- Volunteer Teaching English (Antigua)-Guatemala
- Teach English in Rural Schools (Quetzaltenango/Xela)-Guatemala
- Teaching English (Delhi, Jaipur)-India
- Teach English project (Palampur, Dharamsala)-India
- Teaching English in Rural Schools (Nairobi, Maasai Land)-Kenya
- Teaching English (in and around Melaque)-Mexico
- Teaching English in Rural Schools (Kathmandu, Chitwan and Pokhara)-Nepal
- Teach English in local rural school (Lukla, Khumbu Mt. Everest region)-Nepal
- Teach English in Rural Schools (Cusco)-Peru
- Teaching in South Africa project (Cape Town)-South Africa
- Teach English (Galle)-Sri Lanka
- Teaching English (Arusha, Moshi)-Tanzania
- Teaching English Project (Surin)-Thailand
- Teaching English Project (Ayutthaya)-Thailand