Volunteer with Street Children/Children At-Risk in India
Every child deserves shelter, food, education and emotional support.
For this reason, IFRE is collaborating with local organizations in India to provide at-risk or street children with an education and a safe and healthy environment.
As a volunteer in India in the street/at-risk children project, you will brighten the lives of these children and decrease their chances of falling into threatening situations such as starvation, inhumane labor, theft or the sex industry.
Volunteers help to protect, educate, support and provide friendships to these children so they may live normal childhoods and grow into healthy and productive citizens.
Local organizations urgently need your help to drastically enhance these children’s quality of life. This is the perfect project to truly make a difference, play with children, immerse yourself into Indian culture and explore a beautiful and exotic country.
Take a minute to complete the form and we will be in touch.
Skills and Qualifications:
No specific qualifications are required to join the street children's project in India. However, interested individuals should have a passion and eagerness to help less fortunate children, as well as have a strong personality to deal with these children's often-unfortunate situations and demeanors. Maximum volunteer age is 65 years.
Volunteer Responsibilities and Impact:
As a volunteer in the Street Children Project in India, volunteers work with schools and nonprofit organizations 4-5 hours per day, Monday through Friday. Depending on individual skills and interests and the needs of the local staff, daily activities may include:
- Teaching basic English, health, math, science or other subjects
- Teaching computer lessons
- Providing daily care to children
- Helping prepare and serve food for children
- Teaching children life skills such as gardening, business skills, painting, building, sewing, etc
- Leading creative extracurricular activities such as games, sports, art, music, dancing, etc
- Accompanying children to and from school
- Helping to ensure the children are healthy
- Providing love and attention
- Watching over the children
- Making children laugh
- Teaching children about the world
- Promoting fundraising activities
- Assisting local administrations
- Helping plan events and excursions
Dates and Fees
IFRE is the most trusted and respected volunteer abroad organization in the world, and also the most affordable. We’re dedicated to providing the highest quality volunteer programs at the lowest fees, which make it possible for everyone, especially students, to travel internationally and make a positive impact in the lives of others.
We believe in 100% transparency. Rest assured; we never use middlemen. Your one-time registration fee of $299 covers our administrative costs. The low weekly program fee goes directlyto your host family, and includes housing, food, project donation and minor expenses. IFRE is a non-profit organization, so your program fees are tax deductible.
IFRE programs begin every Monday year-round. If you have travel constraints, you can still start your chosen program on any day of the year.
Volunteer Program Fees (US$)
Language and culture program $250
Aiport Pickup & Transfer (Dharmasla- 9 hours) $100
Delhi to Palamapur transfer by air $100-125, bus $15-20
Summer volunteer and adventure (4 weeks include tour ) $1769
Program Fees Cover:
- Accommodation (volunteer house or host family)
- Food (only breakfast and dinnery)
- Program Orientation
- In-country support
- Personalized project
- Pre-departure information
- Certificate of completion
- Fundraising ideas and letters
- Discount for returning volunteers
Program Fees Exclude:
- Personal expenses on soft drinks and foods
- Daily transportation
- Airport return transfer
Take a minute to complete the form and we will be in touch.
Accommodation and Meal
No specific qualifications are required to join the street children's project in India. However, interested individuals should have a passion and eagerness to help less fortunate children, as well as have a strong personality to deal with these children's often-unfortunate situations and demeanors.
- Our office and home base is located in Gurgaon, a beautiful city 40 miles a way of Delhi international airport. This location is very safe and manned with onsite security. It is a clean, sparsely furnished apartment but will meet all your needs as an IFRE volunteers. It is close to the local bus station. This is the ideal arrangement for sharing your daily experiences with fellow volunteers and local staff. Home base bedrooms have multiple beds, so volunteers will usually share a room (same gender). Our in-country coordinator also lives at our home base to assist our volunteers 24/7.
- Our local host families are socially respected and are experienced with hosting international volunteers. They have strong interest in our volunteers’ safety and well-being and demonstrate this with caution and care. In most host family situations, volunteers will share a room with another volunteer of the same gender.
- Another viable option is an at-orphanage or project hostel stay. Many orphanages in India have set aside special rooms to house international volunteers.
IFRE arranges room, food and supervision for volunteers throughout the program. All of IFRE’s cooks prepare a variety of delicious Indian food (naan, dahl and chapatti breads, curries, rice and pickles/chutneys). Details covering the arrangements for room/food are outlined in the prepared placement details. Volunteers will also have 24/7 access to IFRE's office as well as the mobile numbers of in-country coordinators. In addition, the director of the orphanage will serve as a local contact person for volunteers. IFRE's staff also visits each volunteer every 1-2 weeks as part of our program.
For more readings:
12 tips to enhance cultural experience in host families