In-country support or when you will be in field
What is in-country support?
Most volunteer abroad organizations work according to two different models. In the first model, they will prepare accommodation and hire staff (coordinators, cook, drivers, field staffs etc.). These staffs are either volunteer abroad in-country support or field staffs. In the second model, many international volunteer abroad organizations work through local volunteer organizations and merely serve as a middleman. In such cases, the head of these local organizations will be your volunteer abroad in-country coordinator.
Who is in-country coordinator or local staff?
Staff members are either volunteer abroad in-country support or field staff. If the international volunteer abroad organization works through local volunteer organizations and merely serve as a middleman, the head of this local organizations will be your volunteer abroad in-country coordinator.
What do they do for me?
In-country support staff serve as important go-to-people throughout your volunteer abroad program. They will be the ones offering you the following support at the host country:
- Airport receive and transfer
- Management of room and food in host family houses/hostel
- Orientation of local country, culture, host family, safety, and related issues
- Introduce you to your host family and project staffs
- Periodic follow up visit or call ( 1 - 2 weeks interval ) to ensure everything is going well
- Offer advices to solve any issues, problems, and concerns
Check out http://www.globalcrossroad.com/countrycoordinators.php for more information on in-country support.
Do I need to stay in touch with in-country support?
Volunteer abroad in-country support will be your source of help regardless of any issues you may face in the duration of your volunteer abroad program. You will need to contact volunteer abroad in-country coordinator for many reasons that range from sickness to project issues. It is advisable to always have his/her phone number on hand in case any emergency situation arises.
Volunteer Abroad 101
- What is Volunteer Abroad?
- Why volunteer abroad?
- Is Volunteering really for Me?
- What is ethical volunteering?
- Volunteer Abroad Complaints
- What are the Most Popular Volunteer Abroad Places?
- How Can You Select the Best Volunteer Abroad Organizations?
- How can you make volunteer abroad experience rewarding?
- Cost/Money Matter
- How can I find free volunteer opportunities abroad?
- Why do I need to pay to volunteer?
- Health and Safety
- Host family
- How to prepare to volunteer abroad?
- Gift for project/host families
- In-country support or when you will be in field
- What is the daily schedule for projects?
- What are popular volunteer abroad project?
- How can you reduce the cost of volunteer abroad?