- Volunteer in Cambodia
- Volunteer in China
- Paid Teaching in China
- Volunteer in India
- Volunteer in India-Himalaya
- Volunteer in Nepal
- Volunteer in Nepal-Himalaya
- Volunteer in Sri Lanka
- Volunteer in Thailand
- Volunteer in Ghana
- Volunteer in Kenya
- Volunteer in South Africa
- Volunteer in Tanzania
- Volunteer in Uganda
- Volunteer in Argentina
- Volunteer in Brazil
- Volunteer in Costa Rica
- Volunteer in Ecuador
- Volunteer in Guatemala
- Volunteer in Mexico
- Volunteer in Peru
Knysna, Oudtshoorn &
Many of the schools IFRE partners with are structured to help uplift students and prepare them for a better life.. Volunteers will work with local English teachers at the school with grades 3-9. Volunteers can request a specific grade level once they have arrived and spent a day or two in the project.
In the teaching English projects, volunteers will either lead or assist with teaching in an English classroom in primary, middle or high schools. Schools may be private, public or informal, but in all cases the teaching is focused on conversational English rather than formal grammar. Schools in South Africa support both experienced instructors and the novice teachers by providing many resources to help volunteers plan and carry out their school day. Textbooks, teaching guides and less planning assistance are all available to support volunteers while they teach in South Africa.
- Teaching conversational English, Math or Science to students aged 5 to 10-years-old primary school students or 11 to 16-years-old secondary school students.
- Read literature with students to improve low comprehension levels and pronunciation skills.
- Provide theoretical and practical assistance and aid to teachers.
- Interact with the students during lessons and free time.
Note: In South Africa, many of our volunteer projects are based in rural communities, sometime located a great distance from the city limits of Cape Town. In each local community, we support multiple projects such as orphanages, schools, HIV/AIDS project, hospital etc. Volunteers will help or participate in more than one project during their experience. This multi-tasking presents a more varied volunteering experience and the extra help is greatly appreciated by the community.
Volunteers will receive three meals of South African cuisine each day. Breakfast normally consists of cereal and toast; lunch is packed to take to your project and dinner is a nutritious home cooked local meal (meat & vegetables, rice or potatoes & salad). Host families provide typical meals that are traditional to South Africa.. Throughout the volunteer project, our local staff stays in contact with volunteers with either face-to-face visits or via email/telephone. IFRE's main office is in Cape Town and our in-country coordinator serves as a point of contact for local volunteers. If project placement is very far from our main office, then our local staff members maintain communication by email and/or phone and the local project director will serve as a volunteer's contact. Upon program placement, personal placement documents provide specific details of accommodations and project.
- Teaching English in Rural Schools-Argentina
- Teaching English-Bali
- Teaching English in Brazil
- Teach English in Rural Schools-Cambodia
- Volunteer Teaching English-China
- Paid Teaching in China
- Teaching English-san jose-Costa Rica
- Teaching Project-Puntarenas/Guanacaste-Costa Rica
- Teach English in Rural and Urban Schools-Ecuador
- Teach English in Rural Schools (Accra, Kumasi, Abor, Hohoe & Vakp)-Ghana
- Volunteer Teaching English (Antigua)-Guatemala
- Teach English in Rural Schools (Quetzaltenango/Xela)-Guatemala
- Teaching English (Delhi, Jaipur)-India
- Teach English project (Palampur, Dharamsala)-India
- Teaching English in Rural Schools (Nairobi, Maasai Land)-Kenya
- Teaching English (in and around Melaque)-Mexico
- Teaching English in Rural Schools (Kathmandu, Chitwan and Pokhara)-Nepal
- Teach English in local rural school (Lukla, Khumbu Mt. Everest region)-Nepal
- Teach English in Rural Schools (Cusco)-Peru
- Teach English (Galle)-Sri Lanka
- Teaching English (Arusha, Moshi)-Tanzania
- Teaching English Project (Surin)-Thailand
- Teaching English Project (Ayutthaya)-Thailand
- Teach English in Rural (Kampala)-Uganda