What I need to pack?
Just like traveling on a tour, volunteering abroad requires you to prepare and pack a lot of things. You may be frantically researching online for packing tips for volunteer abroad. Good news is, if you are traveling to developing countries such as Nepal, Kenya, and Guatemala, clothes and other daily necessities are fairly cheap. You can pack light and buy most of your necessities upon arriving at the host country. Just pack your most important things and start your journey!
Still unsure what to pack for travel abroad? Your packing lists for volunteer abroad will depend on the location, season, and nature of the project. If you are traveling to cold regions or in cold seasons, do bring warm jackets and gloves. If you will be working in physically demanding projects such as trail maintenance, construction, and wildlife conservation, do not forget to bring hiking pants and work gloves! Listed below are some packing tips for volunteer abroad:
- Passport and travel documentation (travel insurance, itineraries, important contact details)
- Waterproof bag or zip lock bags to keep your small items protected from rainy conditions
- Comfortable, waterproof walking shoes
- Bathing suit and towel
- Hiking pants
- Rain jackets and umbrellas (if traveling in rainy season)
- Travel adapter
- Sunscreen and insect repellent, Band-Aids, antiseptic
- Camera, memory cards and all cables and chargers
- Limited cash
- Travel guidebook
- First aid kit
- Medical equipment (for medical projects)
- Personal Entertainment
Packing for volunteer abroad can be very stressful, especially if you are new to traveling. It is advisable to travel light and buy your daily necessities such as T-shirts at the host country to make your journey abroad a lot more hassle-free.
Volunteer Abroad 101
- What is Volunteer Abroad?
- Why volunteer abroad?
- Is Volunteering really for Me?
- What is ethical volunteering?
- Volunteer Abroad Complaints
- What are the Most Popular Volunteer Abroad Places?
- How Can You Select the Best Volunteer Abroad Organizations?
- How can you make volunteer abroad experience rewarding?
- Cost/Money Matter
- How can I find free volunteer opportunities abroad?
- Why do I need to pay to volunteer?
- Health and Safety
- Host family
- How to prepare to volunteer abroad?
- Gift for project/host families
- In-country support or when you will be in field
- What is the daily schedule for projects?
- What are popular volunteer abroad project?
- How can you reduce the cost of volunteer abroad?